12 Hall of Fame Inductees Unveiled Thursday, June 2
Class of ‘16 announced at Buffalo Niagara Convention Center; inductee Reggie McKenzie gives remarks on behalf of class
BUFFALO, NY – The Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame introduced its’ 12 member class of 2016, Thursday afternoon, June 2, in the Ballroom of the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center in downtown Buffalo (153 Franklin Street). Introduction of this year’s new members commenced at 4:00 p.m. with board president, Therese Forton-Barnes, presiding. A reception in the Ballroom followed immediately after the introduction of this year’s class.
This year’s event marks the 26th class to be inducted into the Hall of Fame since its inception in 1991 and brings total membership to 303.
Former Buffalo Bills All-Pro guard Reggie McKenzie, one of several inductees on hand for the announcement, offered remarks on behalf of the class. McKenzie was a first round selection in the 1972 NFL Draft out of the University of Michigan, and twice was named first-team all-NFL.
McKenzie will be joined by 11 other former athletes, coaches and administrators into the 2016 class. Four of the 12 will be inducted posthumously as part of the Pride of Western New York.
This group will join a rich heritage of native Western New Yorkers, or those who starred in and around the Queen City during their playing days, who are enshrined in the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame. The 2016 class will be officially inducted this fall at the GBSHOF dinner in the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center.
In addition, the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame Board of Directors announced its annual monetary awards from its Amateur Sports Development Fund.
The Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame honors those who have enhanced our lives with their performances and commitment to Western New York sports, an effort surpassed only by the positive impressions they have left on our athletes of tomorrow.
2016 GBSHOF Inductees
- Benjy Bluman Acclaimed Basketball Official & All-around Athlete
- Don Bosseler Outstanding NFL and U-Miami Fullback
- Carl Brandt Record-setting Track Sprinter (Pride)
- Sal Buscaglia Collegiate Women’s Basketball Coaching Great
- Bud Carpenter Buffalo Bills Head Athletic Trainer
- Reggie McKenzie Buffalo Bills All-Pro Guard
- Ed Michael Renowned U/Buffalo Wrestling Coach
- Alex Mogilny Buffalo Sabres Single Season Goal Scoring Leader
- Frank Offermann Pioneering Buffalo Bison Baseball Executive (Pride)
- Frank Rustich Long-time Boxing and Pro Football Official (Pride)
- Bob Westphal Founder of Buffalo Regals Youth Hockey (Pride)
- Cindy Wyatt Shot Put, Discus & Powerlifting National Champion